I don't really even remember having a fall break from school growing up. Now I do remember maybe a half day here or there or one day off in the fall for parent/teacher conferences, but it was never a big deal at our house when I was growing up. When Big Sissy first started school, Fall Break was a 2 day (Thursday-Friday) vacation from school. This year our school is now on a balanced calender which means Big Sissy and Bubby started school on August 1st and now currently in the 1st week of their 2 week fall break. While I must admit I was a bit apprehensive of the 2 week fall break when it was announced (because as a full-time off-farm working mom I wasn't quite sure how it would work), the kids and I have checked a lot off of our fall break bucket list and it is only Thursday of the first week. (We are in overdrive as this momma will be gone all next week for work.)
I thought I'd share some of the things we've checked off our list as well as a few we are hoping to yet accomplish and although this is a fall break bucket list, a lot of the items could be done on any break from school.
15 things to do on fall break
1. Go to a basketball game - Big Sissy's first ever school basketball game was last Sunday. Although the score was a bit lopsided, we know the fun is just beginning. (Go #20!)
2. Get your craft on - Heading to Jo-Ann's with this family is often dangerous for my checkbook. We left with fabric and fleece to make blankets, pillowcases, and maybe even a 4-H project or two for next year.
3. Make some of Gal in the Middle's pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
4. Go shopping
5. Visit Kelsay Farms - We haven't made it there yet this year, but we absolutely love visiting Kelsay's and this year they have special fall break hours.
6. Get a flu shot - Big Sissy, Bubby, and Little Sissy all got their flu shots yesterday.
7. Check out the programs at your local library - Little Sissy has been to a few story times and Big Sissy and Bubby attended a program entitled grossology yesterday.
9. Make a new recipe
10. Check out The Children's Museum Guild's 49th Annual Haunted House, Wicked Workshop - Big Sissy, Bubby, and I were very lucky to be able to preview the Wicked Workshop yesterday with the lights on. I don't think I would have made it out alive with the lights off.
11. Spend the day at The Children's Museum - After visiting the Wicked Workshop, we decided to spend the day at the museum.
12. Take a nap
13. Visit with family and friends
14. Take a road trip - The kids and I are headed north to The Homestead Resort for this weekend as Uncle A is getting married on Saturday and we can't wait to gain a new family member. (The Farmer is staying behind for reason #15)
15. Celebrate the harvest - In our opinion as farmers, it is hard to beat this time of year. We love harvest. Although the effects of this summer's drought are making for a less than desirable harvest, we still consider ourselves very blessed to be able to raise food for our family and yours.
I hope your family has as much fun as this pigpen checking these item of your fall break bucket list!